Free Initial Consultations


Palatine, IL Attorney for College Expenses

Palatine IL Child Custody Attorney

Child Support Lawyer Serving Schaumburg, Arlington Heights and Throughout Chicagoland

When most people think of court-ordered child support, they probably envision a divorced father paying a portion of his income to his ex-spouse to provide for the care of his young child or children. While that scenario is certainly not uncommon throughout Illinois, there are a large number of possible variations under the state's child support laws. The Law Office of Nicholas W. Richardson, P.C. fully understands that divorced fathers are not the only individuals required to pay child support, and that, in some cases, the supported child may even be a legal adult. No matter what type of support situation may apply to your family, Attorney Nicholas W. Richardson is prepared to help.

Non-Minor Support for Educational Expenses

Unlike child support for a child under the age of 18 or who is still in high school, the law does not make presumptions about a parent's obligation to assist with post-secondary educational expenses. In some cases, a divorce or child custody agreement may include provisions for each parent's responsibility for the cost of college, but absent such provisions, the matter may be brought before the court by either parent or by the child. When deciding whether to award support for college expenses, the court is expected to take into account:

  • The current and expected financial resources and needs of each parent, including each party's retirement savings.
  • The standard of living created by the parents' marriage, or the lifestyle that the child could have reasonably expected if the parents had remained married.
  • The financial resources available to the child, including grants, scholarships, college savings accounts maintained by parents or other family members, and other funding sources.
  • The academic performance of the child.

Any awarded support may be ordered to be paid to the child, to either parent, directly to the institution, or into a trust or other account established for the purpose. In addition, the supporting parent, except for good cause shown, is expected to have access to the child's academic transcripts, records, and grade reports.

Limits to Non-Minor Support in Illinois

According to the law, eligible educational expenses include tuition, books, fees, room and board, utilities, transportation, and food, but they may be expanded to include any costs deemed to be reasonable. In most cases, the amount a parent will be required to contribute should not exceed the educational expenses of an average student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The law also provides that support will be terminated, unless good cause is shown, if the child:

  • Fails to maintain a cumulative "C" average
  • Marries
  • Reaches age 23
  • Completes a baccalaureate degree program

Contact a Schaumburg Non-Minor Support Attorney

If your child is considering college, you have some important financial decisions ahead. Whether you are a parent looking for the other parent's help in paying for your child's education, or the other parent has filed a petition for your support, Attorney Richardson is ready to go to work for you. Contact The Law Office of Nicholas W. Richardson, P.C. for the legal representation you deserve from an attorney committed to serving your family's best interests. Call 847.873.6741 to schedule your free initial consultation today. Our firm proudly serves families throughout Cook, DuPage, Kane, and McHenry Counties.

Introducing The Law Office of Nicholas W. Richardson

Nicholas W. Richardson is an experienced divorce lawyer and mediator whose comprehensive legal knowledge, commitment to clients and reputation for results bring lasting solutions to your problems.

Back to Top