Palatine, IL Child Relocation Lawyer

Palatine IL Child Custody Attorney

Parental Relocation and Child Removal Attorney in Schaumburg, Rolling Meadows, and the Northwest Suburbs

When your decision to remarry or an opportunity for career advancement causes you to consider moving out of Illinois with your child, you may need to seek a modification of your Parenting Agreement. Whether you are the parent looking to move or the parent trying to keep your child close to you, the Law Office of Nicholas W. Richardson, P.C., is ready to help. Attorney Nicholas W. Richardson, a Palatine-based family lawyer, assists families, couples and individuals in and around Cook and DuPage Counties with a wide range of family-related legal matters.

No parent wants to remain separated from his or her child following a divorce, separation or break-up. Attorney Richardson is sensitive to your concerns and dedicated to protecting your rights at every stage of the proceedings. He will assist you in understanding the potential impact of an out-of-state move on your existing arrangements regarding parental responsibilities, and, if necessary, in taking your case before the Court.

Parental Relocation Law Regarding Moves Out of Illinois

Due to recent changes in the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act (IMDMA), a parent with primary residential responsibility for his or her child may now move to a new residence outside of Illinois without prior approval. The new home, however, must be within 25 miles of the previous residence. Otherwise the consent of the other parent or the overriding approval of the Court is required. If the other parent consents, the Court must be notified, and Attorney Richardson can help you amend, if needed, your existing Parenting Agreement to reflect the necessary changes to parenting time schedules and other parental responsibilities.

Attorney for Out-of-State Parental Relocation

In the event the other parent does not grant consent, the issue can be brought before the Court. The parent seeking to move out of Illinois must show:

  • The move is in the child’s overall best interest due to the presence of extended family, increased income or other quality of life factors;
  • Specific reasons for the move;
  • His or her willingness to facilitate the child’s continued relationship with the other parent; and
  • Good faith in requesting the move.

The Court will also consider the good faith motives of the parent contesting the move, and his or her current level of involvement in the life of the child. Attorney Richardson can provide assistance in building your case no matter which side of the matter you may be.

If the move out of state is approved, the jurisdiction over your parental responsibility arrangements may be transferred to the new state of primary residence. Understanding how such a change may impact your rights and responsibilities is extremely important, and Attorney Nicholas W. Richardson is equipped to provide the answers you need.

Contact an Experienced Palatine Family Lawyer

If you intend to request or contest an out-of-state parental relocation, or if such a move is presenting problems between you and your child, contact the Law Office of Nicholas W. Richardson, P.C., for a free initial consultation. You will have the opportunity to discuss your case, explore your available options and ask questions regarding the parental relocation process. Call 847.873.6741 today to schedule an appointment. Attorney Richardson serves clients in Palatine, Barrington, Schaumburg, Rolling Meadows, Arlington Heights, Cook County and DuPage County.


Call Today at 847.873.6741 for Your FREE Initial Consultation

We Accept:Credit Cards

Address110 N. Brockway Street, Suite 220, Palatine, IL 60067

Phone847.873.6741     Fax224.278.9550

Facebook LinkedIn

Resources Privacy Policy Disclaimer Sitemap

© 2021 The Law Office of Nicholas W. Richardson, P.C.
110 N. Brockway Street, Suite 220, Palatine, IL 60067 | 847.873.6741

OVC Logo