How Do I Know if I Need a New Divorce Lawyer?
During your divorce, you will want to be sure you are working with an attorney who is the right person for your case. In some situations, you may have personality conflicts with your divorce lawyer, or the trust or confidence in your attorney may have broken down. If you are not receiving the legal help you need, you may ask yourself if you should change divorce lawyers. However, before ending your relationship with your lawyer and hiring someone else to represent you, you should be aware of some important considerations.
Reasons to Look for a New Lawyer
There are many reasons you may want to change the divorce lawyer who is working on your case. These include:
- Lack of consideration: Your attorney should try to understand your goals and make sure you know the best steps you can take to achieve them. Unfortunately, some lawyers do not fully consider their clients’ needs or goals. If your attorney has failed to help you understand the strategy you should take in your case, you may want to find a new attorney who is more attentive to your needs.
- Lack of contact: A lawyer should ensure that his or her client is continuously kept up to date with the status of the case, and he or she should answer any questions promptly. If your main point of contact is a paralegal or administrator, and you have trouble contacting your lawyer or getting answers about your case, it may be time to look for a new attorney.
- Lack of confidence: If it appears that your attorney does not fully understand how the laws apply to your case or the procedures followed in your family court, you may lose confidence in his or her ability to adequately represent your interests.
Things to Look for in Your New Lawyer
You do not want to go from one bad situation to another, so you will want to keep a few things in mind when looking for your new attorney:
- Focus: To ensure that your legal needs will be met, you may want to look for an attorney or law firm that is focused primarily on family law. This will ensure that your lawyer knows how the law will affect your case.
- Compassion: Family lawyers assist clients in addressing some of the most sensitive legal issues. As such, you will want to make sure your attorney is compassionate and understanding while explaining the legal issues involved in your case.
- Specific strategies: No two divorces are the same. Your lawyer should always listen to your needs and goals and help you understand how to approach issues such as property division and child custody. You will want to be sure that your attorney will work hard to protect your rights and best interests at all times.
Our Northwest Cook County Divorce Lawyer Is Here to Help
If you are looking for a new divorce attorney who can meet your needs, Nicholas W. Richardson is here to assist you with all of your questions and concerns. Attorney Richardson is an experienced family lawyer who will work to ensure you achieve a divorce settlement that protects your rights so you can move on with your life. Call our Mt. Prospect divorce attorney today at 847-873-6741 for a free consultation.