How Does a Promotion at Work Affect Illinois Child Support Payments?

Posted on in Child Support

Hoffman Estates child support modification attorney

During a divorce that involves children, one parent (typically the non-custodial parent) will usually be ordered to pay child support to the other parent. However, the one constant in life is change. When life changes affect a parent’s employment and the income he or she earns, modifications to child support orders may be necessary. This can ensure that a parent will not be required to make payments that he or she cannot afford, and it can make sure that both parents are continuing to meet their children’s financial needs. 

Since Illinois law takes both parents’ incomes into account when determining child support, if either parent receives a promotion or an increase in pay, the amount of the parents’ child support obligations may need to be recalculated. If you need help modifying your child support order, you should work with an experienced family law attorney.

When Child Support Can Be Modified

In Illinois, child support orders can be modified through the Division of Child Support Services (DCSS) if:

  • Three years have passed since the original child support order or the last modification.
  • There has been a substantial change in either parent’s income.
  • The original child support order did not address healthcare costs for the child.

A parent may request a review of child support through DCSS if at least one of the above criteria has been met. However, parents do not have to always go through the DCSS to request a modification. Either parent can also petition the court to modify an order when there has been a significant change in either party’s circumstances. 

The amount of parents’ child support obligations are based on what the parents would have been expected to spend to care for their children if they were still married. If either parent’s income increases following a promotion, the total amount of the child support obligation may increase, and each parent’s percentage share of that obligation may change. 

If you are currently paying child support to your former spouse, a promotion may result in an increase in the amount you will need to pay. However, if your ex-spouse received a promotion, he or she may now have a larger percentage share of the total child support obligation, and this may result in a reduction in the amount that you are required to pay.

Contact an Arlington Heights Child Support Lawyer Today

If you or your ex-spouse have received a promotion at work, you should be sure to understand how this will affect your child support obligations. To ensure that all relevant factors are taken into account when addressing child support modifications, you should work with skilled Barrington family law attorney Nicholas W. Richardson. He can review your child support order, determine whether changes in income or other issues should be considered, and petition the court for any necessary modifications. Call our office today at 847.873.6741 to arrange your free consultation. 



Call Today at 847.873.6741 for Your FREE Initial Consultation

We Accept:Credit Cards

Address110 N. Brockway Street, Suite 220, Palatine, IL 60067

Phone847.873.6741     Fax847.907.4477

Facebook LinkedIn

Resources Privacy Policy Disclaimer Sitemap

© 2020 The Law Office of Nicholas W. Richardson, P.C.
110 N. Brockway Street, Suite 220, Palatine, IL 60067 | 847.873.6741

OVC Logo